Tuesday, September 22, 2009

the galette that almost wasn't

Mondays are my day for trying out new recipes. At least, that is what I told myself. After yesterday, I may change my mind. I made this Gruyere, Potato and Onion Galette - with the easy flaky pastry. You make the pastry in the food processor. You start out by chopping up the butter into 1/2 inch pieces and freezing it for a good 20 minutes. Then you combine the butter and the flower in the food processor and pulse. Add water, knead and fridgerate. Easy. Right.
Well, somehow - the blade for my food processor was separated from the actual appliance and it took me 45 minutes to find it. Not, before I lost my temper and I had to remove myself from the kitchen in frustration. After resigning myself that I would have to remove all the canned goods from the cupboard - I eventually found it. Excellent. Onward. Then, after assembling the ingredients in the bowl, nothing happened. It is a bit tempermental - so I grabbed the handle of the bowl and tried to unlock it and the entire handle and half the bowl broke off in my hands rendering the entire machine useless. So, I had to make the pastry by hand - after allowing the butter to warm up to room temperature.

Not a good scene.

But, it did taste good.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

oh no! I hate when this happens! Looks yummy...

I made a new dish yesterday too! an eggplant, potato and tomatto curry; and a carrot with OJ and ginger side dish.

I had all the spices ready, put the oil in for the mustard seeds to pop, then added spices, garlic, ginger and butter, got distraced and it burned. Oh, and I thought I had canned tomattoes but did not and had to go buy some at 9.30 at night, since I had peeled and chopped the potatoes and egg plant already! Needless to say, after it burned I just said forget all the spices to make the fancy curry powder; it was getting late; i dumped in the oil, popped the seeds, minced the garlic, chopped the ginger and used curry powder itself. Then I was boiling the extra liquid out and got distracted and burned the bottom after all of it was in (the vegs). However I salvaged most of it, poured the lime juice in, tasted it (promising) and put it in the fridge for later!

Kassianni said...

ooooooooooh!
that looks delicious!
I was just thinking about buying a food processor. they can be so useful

Mimi said...

Argggggggggggg. I hate that.

It does look yummy.

Blog Archive