Tuesday, December 11, 2012

day 10 - #reverb12

P1012770

What was the greatest risk you took in 2012? What was the outcome?

At the risk of repeating myself - the greatest risk I took in 2012 was leaving my job in a well established company.  There are moments when I wonder just why I did it?  What was I thinking?  What was my problem?  And then there are days when I am super glad that I did.  From a purely practical point of view it was not a good move.  I make less money.  I have less holidays.  I have less privacy in terms of office space.  I am no longer the well established go to person held in high esteem.  I am now the student - the learner - the grasshopper.  I am bottom of the totem pole. 

What I do have:  more freedom in my job.  Less corporate stuff.  It is still here but, less overt.  More control of over my daily activities and results.  If I work hard and I am successful then I will see the fruits of my labour.  I love my new job.  I do.  I love being part of a team that works together.  I love learning new things.  I love meeting new people.  I love the direct correlation between the work that I do and the pay that I receive.

The immediate outcome is that I am enjoying my day to day work life much more.  We have made some adjustments and the finances will sort themselves out.  On the days when I start to panic I remind myself that I am still one of the fortunate ones.   

No comments:

Blog Archive