Thursday, January 12, 2006

Henri Nouwen



"I believe you can look at solitude, community, and ministry as three disciplines by which we create space for God. If we create space in which God can act and speak, something surprising will happen. You and I are called to these disciplines if we want to be disciples."
--Henri J. M. Nouwen

I have been re-reading some HN. He, along with Thomas Merton were important guides along my journey. I love picking up these texts and reading them again. As I read, I am flooded with memories of relationships and experiences of my twenties. Good memories. Difficult times. But, all of it bringing me to this moment in time.

1 comment:

thomasw said...

he seemed so fluffy and airy-fairy to me. i did like some of the writing he did on icons, though.

i gather these books don't harken back to any time with me???? even though we met when we were in our twenties:) that seems so long ago now :/ do you remember going skating with me at the west-end arena on denman...i think tara went with that chinese chap, too?

Blog Archive