Tuesday, June 03, 2008

the russian trainer

This was my third week of pilates. My class instructor is a lovely russian woman whom I shall call L. L is petite and forceful. I am registered in a group class but I have been the only one who has signed up for this time period. So, it is like having a personal trainer for 1 hour.

One of the benefits of being the only one in the class is that I am receiving one on one technique adjustments. Which is very good. But, it also means that there are no opportunities to take small breaks as all eyes are on me! I am working very hard in my class and I am pooped out at the end of the hour. I love the feeling of being stretched. Once I am done with the beginner's class I will be able to take the next level and hopefully participate 2 x a week.

L is very direct. She wants to assist me. She is offering all kinds of advice. I need to do cardio as well as stretching. She thinks I should lose some weight. That would help with my overall back health. Do I agree? Yes, I agree. I could lose a few lbs. but, my focus has always been keeping my back flexible and living pain free.
We talked about taking on too much too soon. I know that if I start to schedule too much I will throw in the towel. I think it is a tremendous step that I have finally committed to taking the class. Not, that I didn't want to take the class but my life and work schedule did not allow the flexibility. Now, that I work a more consistent schedule I can fit in the pilates class.

But, for now it is good. I am very, very thankful for this opportunity and I will make the most of it.

No comments:

Blog Archive