Thursday, September 18, 2008

prioritizing

I attended a panel discussion on making the writer in you a priority. It was interesting to see the characters who showed up. It was a free talk; you just had to register in advance. There were two students who were actively in a writing program and two instructors/ mentors.

I left with some good advice. I love to read and I love to write. I am always making choices - do I read or do I write? I will block off my time to combine the two activities...so an hour for reading and then an hour for writing. I will try this and get back to you.

Make the effort to write down "small noticings". Use a book or index cards, or whatever works but write down the ideas as they come.

If I don't write my story or use my voice, it won't be written as it is uniquely mine.

Timing is everything. I am struggling with where I am headed -what the heck am I doing with my time hear on this planet. I was notified of a different position. The commute is longer but the pay is definitely better. But, it would be a completely different world and a different corporate culture and do I really want to chase my tail and go down that road? Going to this talk tonight made me reconsider applying. I don't want to spend more time commuting. I don't want to learn a new corporate culture. I do want to write more and learn the craft.

*****************************************************

On a completely different note - I received some sad news today. My cousin's wife's father passed away on the eve of his other daughter's wedding. They were all going a cruise -56 of them. How quickly life changes? All that anticipation for a joy filled week comes crashing down into ... what? How do you respond to that?

A sobering reminder to be grateful for everyday.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news, I hope that you and your family are able to find some comfort during this very difficult time.

Thanks for sharing your tips from the talk you attended, it is always so interesting to me to hear what other writers do.

It's nice that you have work choices, even if it does add a dilemma!

Mimi said...

I'm so sorry to hear. May his Memory be Eternal.

And, I'm glad you were edified by the talk. Awesome.

elizabeth said...

it is hard to learn new corp. culture; exhuasting actually, as is commuter culture... money is only that...

so sorry to hear of the loss - at at what was supposed to be a joyous time. Lord have mercy. Memory Eternal.

Blog Archive