Saturday, April 05, 2008

on wine and friends

I worked and my son and my husband went to up the mountain for one last snow boarding adventure. I am putting the gear away now. I have stared at it every morning in our sunroom since November. Time to move on. Maybe that is why it is still so cold outside. We have not packed away the snowboarding equipment. So, Sunday it goes away.

My daughter chose to visit a friend. She also received an invite to audition for the competitive jazz group for next year. She was caught off guard as she is not a "jazz dancer" but she will audition and see where that takes her.

I worked a short day - until 3.15pm and then I had to go to the grocery store. Saturday afternoon is not the most efficient time to shop and in my current state of feeling pressed for time it was even more painful. I seriously thought the world conspired against me. The line ups were horrendous. The traffic unbearable. I bought gerbera daisies and irises for the church. I bought ingredients for vegetarian chili and 3 kinds of bread and lots of veggies. We invited our good friends over. I stopped at the liquour store and bought some wine.

I tried a SilverLeaf Shiraz from Australia. Screw top and plastic 1 litre bottle. I had misgivings about the bottle. I have only just come around to the screw top ... so we tried it. It was OK. It passed as table wine. It was not great. But, I have to say that aesthetically speaking the whole environmental - uses less fuel to recycle than glass bottle - idea just didn't work for me. Does it really make that much difference? There is something about uncorking a bottle of wine. Something aobut the weight of the glass bottle and the first pour that is part of the experience....

But, we enjoyed wine and vegetarian chili with the best of friends. Friends with whom the masks can fall away and you can say life is rather crappy right now -pray for me. We struggle on together in the knowlege we are not alone. And for that I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

blackbird said...

It's so good to spend time with friends like that - restorative.

Wine in plastic? Not so much.

Blog Archive