Saturday, April 26, 2008

preparations






Friday was a good day. I am coaxing my lilies to open.
We prepared the church with flowers for the service of Holy Friday. That was hardcore church. 7 to 11pm. It was a day of fasting so we all had a bit of a snack after church and went to bed.
Today, Saturday a bit of regular life creeps in. My son has football practice and my daughter is watching a friend compete in a horse show. There is more prep to be done at church. The white flowers - the lilies and tulips will be prepped and put behind the altar so we can quickly make the transition from the darkness of the purple and red to the brightness of the white. A laurel garland embellished with white flowers will be hung. All this takes place while the congregation processes around the church singing.

A few last things to be gathered for the Paschal Baskets. We all bring baskets filled with good things like meat and cheese and eggs and chocolate. My husband orders his favourite pizza and brings a couple of slices. I bring bread to go with my meat and cheese. My daughter chooses this year to bring ice cream and put in the freezer. After the liturgy Fr. Lawrence blesses the baskets and we all share are goodies.

The anticipation is building.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

That's how our today is as well! Beauitiful! I'm so excited as we prepare!

blackbird said...

It looks and sounds like it is going to be beautiful (and delicious!).

Blog Archive